2018 SURCAR Detroit Congress
A crowd of over 200 highly qualified Automotive Experts came together on June 13-14 2018 to attend SURCAR DETROIT Congress. This 2-day Technical Conference united the American Car Body Finishing Experts at the legendary Roostertail to discuss on how Market Changes Drive Innovation in Paint and Process.
Having been in the paint finishing business for forty years, I have come to understand that our industry problems are not proprietary. At this Congress, OEMs and suppliers will collaborate on innovations and share their experiences.
Kenny White, GM Director Vehicle System Global Paint
35 Speakers from Major Car Manufacturer and Paint Material & Equipment Supplier Companies
The Event featured 2 Keynote Speakers who shared their vision on how data and advanced analytics would transform the Automotive Industry and the future of Mobility:
- Paul Ballew, FORD Vice President and Chief Global Data and Analytic Officer
- John McElroy, Founder of AUTOLINE
The 2-Day conference was composed of 4 Technical Sessions and 4 Panel Discussions. The SURCAR North American Committee rewarded 4 Project Presentations:
- Pierre Pronost, Research & Innovation Manager from PLASTIC OMNIUM, presented “Capacitive Paint” and was rewarded the Awards for Innovation.
- Michael Koerner, Technical Fellow from AXALTA, presented “Exterior Color Coats for Digital Printing” and won the Awards for Technique.
- Ranju Arya, Senior Business Director Mobility from PPG was rewarded as the Jury’s Awards with his presentation about the Smart Mobility.
- Same as Marco Mendoza, GENERAL MOTORS Senior Manager New Paintshop and Bruce Roesler, GALLAGHER-KAISER Director of Engineering, who made the joint-presentation about GENERAL MOTORS Paintshop Replacement Strategy, and won the Jury’s Awards.
Thanks to all at our first SURCAR here in Detroit! Great participation and ambiance – I believe the Congress has met your expectations. This has been a great start to our SURCAR Community in N.A.!
Tim Hayes, SURCAR International President
An overwhelming satisfaction for the first edition of the Congress!
95% of Conference Participants were very satisfied or satisfied with the Event
- “Fantastic attention to details and superbly coordinated. Good flow, layout of Venue allowed quick transition between breaks lunch and presentations” – Global Paint Engineer / OEM Company
- “Very good presentation content, great networking opportunity” – Vehicle Systems, Paint Materials and Facility Engineering Manager / OEM Company
- “Good diversity of OEMs, equipment and paint suppliers. Lots of real industry experience presented” – Paint Materials Engineering Coordinator / OEM Company
- “I had a wonderful time at the SURCAR conference. The venue was exotic considering Detroit. The Topics were very much relevant & well-spaced. The Food choice too was excellent!” – Factory Applied Coating Group Leader / Paint Supplier
- “The very first SURCAR Detroit Conference was outstanding…. Thanks for bringing SURCAR to Detroit.” – Account Manager OEM Coatings / Paint Supplier